What is OHSAS 18001: 2007
Health and Safety Management System
OHSAS 18001: 2007 is an international standard for Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems. Issued in 2007, replaces OHSAS 18001: 1999, and is intended to manage aspects of occupational health and safety (OHS). OHSAS 18001: 2007 provides a framework for the effectiveness of OHS management including compliance with the laws and regulations applicable to your activities and recognizing the dangers that arise.
The standard applies to any organizations willing to minimize or minimize risks for employees and other stakeholders directly related to OHS risks accompanying existing activities. Many organizations have the elements required by OHSAS 18001 available at complementary use sites to make better an integrated management system in accordance with the requirements of this standard. Organizations that implement the OHSAS 18001 have an organized management structure with clear authority and responsibility, clear improvement objectives, measurable outcomes and structured approaches to risk assessment. Similarly, monitoring of management failures, conducting performance audits and reviewing OH & S policies and objectives.
OHSAS / K3 is a Human Right (HAM). Surely every human being needs comfort, safety and health in his life. Especially in work, every employee wants to go to work in good health and safe, go home the same condition. Companies need to comply with laws and regulations applicable to Laws, Government Regulations, Ministerial Regulations, Ministerial Decrees and others. The regulation is certainly made to ensure the fulfillment of safety and health standards for every human being.
The use of costs in company operations must be efficient. With the number of workplace accidents and occupational diseases will cause the company’s operating costs to increase such as medical expenses, compensation, increased overtime, lost production and others. This is where company performance (productivity) will be affected if OHSAS / K3 company is bad. Companies should have a good image for stakeholders such as buyers, communities and governments. A good image will increase the company’s added value. By applying OHSAS / K3, people will believe that the company is very concerned about K3 which is the need of every human being.
Some of the benefits of applying OHSAS 18001 are:
- A structured approach to hazard identification and risk management that can provide input for a safer and healthier work environment.
- Reducing risk – health and safety management becomes more transparent and effective by translating audit results into action.
- Laws – provide a means of identifying existing rules and other relevant requirements that keep you law-abiding.
- Stakeholder confidence – increased credibility by implementing independently assessed health and safety management systems.
- The ‘plan – do – check – act’ management system in this standard is in line with other management system standards, meaning it is very easy to develop an integrated system.